[CT Birds] 1/1 - Fairfield Birding

Alex Burdo aburdo10 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 1 17:33:18 EST 2014

I spent a terrific New Years Day birding a number of locations in
Fairfield. Jim Orrico joined me on this effort, and we were able to notch a
total of fifty-six species for the inaugural day of 2014.

>From Alex Burdo and Jim Orrico:
1/1 - Fairfield, Pine Creek Open Space -- 3 WINTER WREN, 1 FOX SPARROW, 1
Sharp-shinned Hawk, 1 American Coot (my first ever at Pine Creek!), 3
Golden-crowned Kinglet, 1 Ruby-crowned Kinglet, 1 Eastern Towhee, 4
American Tree Sparrow, 2 Swamp Sparrow
Fairfield, Upper Ash Creek (viewed from the Jewish Home for the Elderly on
the Post Rd) -- 1 male EURASIAN WIGEON continues along with terrific
concentrations of waterfowl including: 21 Gadwall, 102 American Wigeon, 106
American Black Duck, 11 Mallard, 1 American Black Duck x Mallard, 1
Bufflehead, 3 Hooded Merganser. Also 1 Killdeer.
Fairfield, Hoydens Hill Open Space -- 1 YELLOW-BELLIED SAPSUCKER, 1
PILEATED WOODPECKER, 1 FOX SPARROW, 1 first year WHITE-CROWNED SPARROW, 1
Sharp-shinned Hawk, 2 Eastern Bluebird, 7 Cedar Waxwing, 1 Yellow-rumped
Warbler, 6 Field Sparrow
Fairfield, Penfield Reef (with James Purcell) -- 1 GREAT CORMORANT, 12 SNOW
BUNTING, 12 Greater Scaup

Happy New Year!

Alex Burdo
Fairfield