[CT Birds] Dennis Varza

Schlesinger, Lee Lee.Schlesinger at purchase.edu
Fri Jan 3 14:02:43 EST 2014

Hi All

I posted this on the funeral-home-memorial site for Dennis...

In my 40 years of participation in the Birding Activity of Connecticut, I have seen that no two birders are much alike in anything but their love of birds. So it is obviously true in a basic sense that DENNIS VARZA was unique; but he was unique in deep and remarkable ways as well. Actually I knew Dennis personally pretty much only from counts and compilations and his on-line and in-print presence, but this much is clear: he THOUGHT about birds (as well as being gifted and responsible in the field), he KNEW stuff (and knew where to find out about stuff, the research lessons of his graduate work apparently staying with him in the best ways), and he never felt obliged to conform his thought to the conventions. He worked hard at the task at hand, covering part of Bridgeport on the Stratford/Milford Christmas Count, scouring the archives for interesting records, helping establish the infrastructure of an organized Connecticut Birding community... Thank you, Dennis. No one will do what you have done, as you have done it...

Lee Schlesinger
Port Chester, NY