[CT Birds] Woody Crest - Eurasian Widgeon and a bunch of other beauties

Colleen Talbot clordtalbot at gmail.com
Fri Jan 3 16:48:55 EST 2014

All,

The Woody Crest neighborhood in West Haven is another good area with several public access points, situated a few miles south of Sandy Point, past the beaches, before Oyster River and with a very expansive viewing area of Long Island Sound. Has anyone seen anything wonderful here? To me, they are all wonderful, but this afternoon, given the 'snow day', I had a longer than usual opportunity to look. It's my backyard, so I'm partial ...

1 m Eurasian Widgeon
1 f, 1 m American Widgeon
5 m Common Goldeneye and 1 juvenile (which kept pretty far from the adults most of the several hours they swam in the area)
4 m, 3 f Red-Breasted Merganser (this close group of 7 have been here for weeks)
1 Common Loon (usually several but just 1 today)
20+ Black Ducks

and so many gulls that I really would be slacking if I didn't attempt to become a gull expert while I'm here. ;)

Have a great weekend,

Colleen Lord
Woody Crest, West Haven CT

Sent from my iPhone