[CT Birds] Just a little more on a good friend

Milan Bull mbull at ctaudubon.org
Sat Jan 4 11:13:21 EST 2014

Date:  Sat., Jan. 8, 2014
From:  Milan Bull
Subject: Just a little more on a good friend

Although I can't remember exactly when Dennis and I met in the early 1970's, I do know that he started volunteering at Connecticut Audubon in 1975 when we were both kids and leading bird trips to Block Is. for CAS under the volunteer Board Member Ulrich Hellman and his wife Hildegard. It was Dennis who designed and helped organize other trips to places like Chincoteague and Hawk Mt.  Dennis was wired with a scientific mind and always wanted to go beyond the border and share what he believed in.  He was not the kind of guy to hold back his convictions no matter how unpopular they might be, and this is one of the reasons I respected him. By the early 80's we had become fast friends and together with the late Carl Trichka developed a banding station at Birdcraft and co-founded COA, largely following Dennis' lead. If anyone remembers the old bird alert telephone recorder that was so problematic, it was Dennis that continually worked out the bugs to get the word out on rarities. Dennis was a dedicated, persistent birder and had a detailed eye for rarities, such as Sharp-tailed Sandpiper in Norwalk, Ross' Gull in West Haven, and the relatively recent White-tailed Kite in Stratford.  Not especially group oriented, I was pleased that he was a part of my wedding party in 1981.  Dennis has extensive records of CT birds based on his regular routes that he traveled for years.   These and other records his sister Gail is transferring to disks at his request that will be donated to COA and made available to all interested.  Dennis was one of a kind, a remarkable guy and a good friend.  He will be missed by all of us.