[CT Birds] Chester, 1/5-6: red-tailed hawk

teustis at killingworthlibrary.org teustis at killingworthlibrary.org
Sun Jan 5 11:31:06 EST 2014

Chester, Jan. 5-6:
For two days in a row now, we've had a fearless red-tailed hawk perched in the trees near our birdfeeders - first up high in an oak, and now down low in a dogwood (beautifully visible from the house). We initially thought that it was trolling after the squirrels, but have determined that it's watching the activity of much smaller rodents under the snow. There's a spot at the base of the oak that we call the "seed patch" - it's where we dump the old seed sweepings. It's become a beehive of mice and voles, and now "Red" has caught on.
The feeder birds couldn't be happier. Red is keeping the Cooper's hawk away and has no interest in the little birds. Best sight of the day was a flock of 27 cedar waxwings all perched in the tree around the hawk (right when I *didn't* have my camera, of course). We'll see how permanent a fixture Red decides to become.
And yes, it's just in time for both Project Feederwatch and my Christmas Bird Count!
~ Tammy Eustis, Chester