[CT Birds] Great Island highlights

Dave Provencher hikerbirder at gmail.com
Sun Jan 5 17:39:37 EST 2014

Kayaked around Great Island in Old Lyme for CBC today. Pretty dicey out
there at times. I almost managed to become the first Ct CBC birder to
become ice bound and need rescuing by Coast Guard. Managed to avoid that
embarrassment but kayak and paddle took a brutal beating against the ice
today. Highlights included 1 SNOWY OWL, 1 ROUGH-LEgGED HAWK, 1
RED-SHOULDERED HAWK, 4 BALD EAGLES on ice pack in Sound, 1 MERLIN, 1 drake
EURASIAN WIGEON, 1 first winter ICELAND GULL eating a dead striper in the
Sound, 3 MARSH WRENS, 4 AMERICAN PIPITs, and 10 EASTERN MEADOWLARKs.

All channels were ice clogged today so I could not get to the best places
to check for marsh sparrows alas.

Dave Provencher