[CT Birds] Bird ID Assistance

Frank Mantlik mantlik at sbcglobal.net
Mon Dec 30 17:24:23 EST 2013

Hi Ned,
It is definitely of the alcid family. It's difficult to tell the length of the bill because the rock obscure the bill tip. However it does look fairly short and stubby. This, coupled with the white collar, the black "spur" extending down the "shoulders", and the white slashes on the tertials (lower back) clinches the bird as indeed a DOVEKIE.
Does anyone know what date the Napatree Christmas Bird Count was?  It might be a rare addition to their day's tally.

Thanks for sharing this, Ned.

Frank Mantlik