[CT Birds] Snowy Owl on rooftop of 80 Washington St., Hartford

Katherine Kuckens katkuckens at gmail.com
Mon Dec 30 17:55:14 EST 2013

I observed the snowy just after noon today from the employee parking lot
behind 80 Washington. As others have stated, the owl was hunkered down in
the north east corner of the roof, partially hidden by a low parapet.
Several crows were making quite a ruckus over it. I then got to see the owl
from a top floor office of the Family Court Building next door. The owl was
nestled in a pile of autumn leaves.

Next I got permission to go to the top of the adjacent state office
building parking garage, where the owl was clearly visible below me. He
appeared alert, looked around a lot, including staring right at me.  He was
heavily barred, one of the darkest owls I've seen.  He seemed to have a
problem with his left eye, which was not fully open.  I also heard that a
custodian at the state office building saw the owl fly around and catch
something, which he took back to the roof and ate.

My pictures are not very good, since I only had my iphone with me.  You can
see them at http://katkuckens.tumblr.com/

Katherine Kuckens