[CT Birds] Stratford BIrding Today (Light Morph Rough Legged Hunting)

Donna Caporaso donnacap at aol.com
Wed Jan 1 20:32:19 EST 2014

Happy New Year!  After watching the sunrise, I had a 4 1/2 hours of birding my favorite spots along the shore here in Stratford!

Birdseye Boat Ramp & Greenway:
Belted King Fisher (Female)
Green-winged Teal
Northern Harrier
Ring Billed Gulls
Great Black Backed Gull (1)
Herring Gulls
Rock Pigeons
Song Sparrows
2 Red Throated Loons in the River

Frash Pond:
Canvas Backs
Herring Gulls
Hooded Mergansers
Belted Kingfisher (Male)

Michel Parking Lot (across from pool that is frozen) Access Road:
Harrier flying over building at 611
2 Robins
2 American Gold FInch
Song Sparrow
1 Chickadee

Culvert/Stream that runs along Lordship Boulevard toward the Duchess:
1 Juvenile Black Crowned Night Heron
1 Belted Kingfisher (male)
3 Mallards
1 Cardinal

Warehouses on Long Beach Boulevard:
2 Downy Woodpeckers in different locations
1 American Tree Sparrow
4 Robins
1 Northern Harrier
5 Great Blue Herons (4 together that got into a ruckus and one off alone)
1 Peregrine Falcon flying toward Pleasure Beach
'1 Unidentified Hawk (thinking Coopers)
1 Mocking Bird
3 Junco
1 Cardinal

Long Beach Boulevard by pond (frozen) behind Staples/Buckley Warehouses
1 Fox Sparrow (one with no tail still there)
1 Carolina Wren
2 Song Sparrow

Driving along Rt 113 (between marshes and airport)
1 Light Morph Rough Legged Hawk hunting over marshes (confirmed with photos)
1 Red Tail Hawk in tree
2 Mute Swans on Ice in pond (one juvenile)
Buffleheads in canal before airport
Mallards and Black Ducks in several canals through marshes

Oak Bluff Heading toward Long Beach:
2 Kill Deer just at entrance to beach
Black Ducks
Song Sparrows

Oak Bluff along Airport heading away from Beach
2 Male House Finch
1 Female House Finch
numerous House Sparrows
Downy Woodpecker
Mocking Bird
24+- Canada Geese along airport runway

Long Beach:
2 Iceland Gulls at jetty at end of parking lot (one 2nd cycle, other undetermined as he was on rocks jammed in with others)
Herring, Ring Billed & Black Backed Gulls
Sanderlings & Dunlins

Herring, RIng-Billed and 2 Black Backed Gulls

Short Beach
1 American Crow
Black Ducks
other waterfowl unable to ID in cove near Stratford Pt

Not a great day for photos but some are here:   https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10152104067907439.1073742045.726347438&type=1&l=a3a7702314

Donna Caporaso
Stratford, CT
Connecticut Birds Facebook Page:  https://www.facebook.com/groups/125313460911467/