[CT Birds] Two Snowy Owls Stratford

Frank Mantlik mantlik at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jan 6 21:03:36 EST 2014

1/6 Stratford
- Long Beach, 4:20- SNOWY OWL in salt marsh at high tide, feeding on newly-killed Black Duck.
- Short Beach, 4:55 (sunset glow) - I watched a (different) SNOWY OWL fly in off the river (from its breakwater roost?), flew over the golf course and towards the airport. A minute later I found the owl perched on the red, lighted "ILS" sign at the edge of the runway at dusk. Obviously going out to hunt.
- Rt 113 causeway - MERLIN perched in Alainthus tree near road.

Frank Mantlik
Stratford

Sent from my iPhone