[CT Birds] Feeder Crows

Dennis Riordan driordan at snet.net
Wed Jan 8 12:25:48 EST 2014

I have an American crow family and a fish crow family living in my neighborhood in New Haven (adjacent to Yale athletic fields). The crows generally only visit the front yards along the street and the Yale fields. In the fall there are often large numbers (>200) of mixed crows that feed on acorns in front yards.
This year, however, several times the murders have ventured into my backyard to feed on the cracked corn that I put out for the ground feeders. They’ve been rather comical to watch as the walk around the Yale field and perch in the nearby trees, carefully looking at the yard as if trying to decide if its safe. You can almost hear them thinking, “Hmmm, should I give it a go? That corn looks tasty.” Then as many as 15 have come into the yard and actually gotten within about 5’ of the house. And they are wary! It doesn’t take much to spook them. My slightest movement visible from a window and they’re gone.
As I said, this is the first year that they’ve been feeder crows.

Dennis Riordan
New Haven