[CT Birds] Birds today

peeplo at aol.com peeplo at aol.com
Tue Jan 7 18:50:44 EST 2014

Hi all. I took a ride down to Burying Hill Beach. It was low tide and few birds were around. Eventually, the adult Lesser Black-backed Gull showed up and hung out on the beach. In Stratford, the dark rough-legged hawk was hovering over the marsh near Long Beach, and a fairly white snowy owl was roosting near a metal object near the entrance to long beach also in the marsh. There was a young male Northern Harrier coursing the marsh, and the large 2nd-year Iceland Gull was on the beach near the first jetty at Long Beach. 22 Canvasbacks were resting on Frash Pond. The young Red-headed woodpecker was on its tree in New Haven on Bradley St for 3 minutes around 3:20 p.m. I could not locate the harlequin duck or Barrow's Goldeneye off Brazos Road in East Haven today.

Frank Gallo
Life is short. Bird often.