[CT Birds] Feeder Crows

Mntncougar at aol.com Mntncougar at aol.com
Wed Jan 8 10:59:03 EST 2014

For as long as I can remember there has been a small flock  (murder?) of
Am. Crows in my neighborhood which has fluctuated between 4 and  (currently) 5
individuals. I'm sure the members have changed, but the number  stays the
This year, I have been surprised to see that they come to my  yard
virtually every day, and feed in the area where I spread seed for the  typical
ground feeders (90% Juncos). Once in a while one of them even goes to  one of my
platform feeders, and sometimes they use my heated birdbath for a  drink or
an occasional dip in the pool. I have never seen this before on  anything
but an occasional basis.
The food I put in my feeders is from Ocean State and is a  typical
high-percentage BOSS mix, but it does have a lot of cracked corn in it,  more this
year I think. And some of that seed gets scattered on the ground by  some of
the more messy or aggressive feeders. However,  the mix I put on the ground
has no corn at all, and consists of mostly milo and  millet with a small
amount of BOSS thrown in.
When the flock arrives, typically 1 to 3 of them will land and  feed, the
others sitting in the trees as if keeping watch, and occasionally they
I am just curious if others see this behavior on a regular  basis.

Don  Morgan