[CT Birds] Carl Ekroth

Jamie Meyers ctredbird2 at comcast.net
Wed Jan 8 18:11:56 EST 2014

I'd like to add my remembrances of Carl to those already posted. I joined Hartford Audubon nearly two decades ago, and Carl was an established mainstay of the club already back then. He led one of the first HAS walks I attended and showed me my life Alder Flycatcher and Least Bittern. Both of those were at Station 43, where he led many walks throughout the years and I'm sure showed a lot of good birds to a number of folks like me. As Zellene mentioned, Carl was longtime captain of the HAS Spring Census in Ellington and served with great distinction in that capacity, except of course for that year that Ellington beat Canton! He was always willing to share local knowledge about the birds in his area. Those of us who go to Green Road in Ellington in the spring are merely following in his footsteps. Carl was one of the first to bird the now well-known goose fields of Somers extensively. Anyone who knew Carl was better for the experience. I know I'm one of many who are deeply saddened by his passing.

Jamie Meyers
Canton, CT