[CT Birds] Thames River Pacific Loon Update

Timothy L Thompson tthompso at gdeb.com
Thu Jan 9 17:36:22 EST 2014

1/9/14 - 4:20 to 4:40pm - Thames River - Groton -  (As viewed from the EB
docks during a fabulous sunset!)  Pacific Loon was spotted about 100 yds
on the east side of green buoy can #11 just across and north of Fort
Trumbull.  Loon was preening and gently gliding down river and proceeded
past green buoy can #9 and headed to Junk Island.  Perhaps the Loon may be
using Junk Island as a roost (just my guess).  Junk Island is the larger,
second island furthest south of Fort Trumbull and better viewed from
Burr's Marina area off of Pequot Ave in New London.  The Loon has been
favoring the protected waterways inside EB's graving docks.  But, as
previously mentioned, these waterways are frozen over and preventing the
Loon from feeding there.  Today, the Loon was feeding just outside on the
eastern edge of the open water in front of EB.  In my estimation, tomorrow
may offer a good chance to see the loon from the New London side.   When
the Loon goes to feed tomorrow morning, it may head upriver and feed
between green buoy cans #11 and #9 which can be seen from Fort Trumbull
with a scope as recommended by Mr Batsford.   High tide tomorrow is at
4:56am and 5:16pm.  I will look again tomorrow from 11am to 11:30am. Also,
if you come, don't forget to look in between and around the Fort Trumbull
Marina.  There are many wildfowl present in Bentley Creek and just south
of Fort Trumbull proper.   The Thames is holding some good birds right
now.  Good luck and good viewing to all who venture out.

Timothy L. Thompson