[CT Birds] New Birding App 'Merlin" from Cornell

Jim Voros voros at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jan 10 13:21:24 EST 2014

Hi all.  There's a new mobile birding app, "Merlin",  which I think someone has brought up on the list before, however it is now Live and out of Lab.
It was created by the web team at Cornell, and it's Free.   The app helps ID, pulls in date and location info, factors in your
answers, and then generates a list of most likely bird sightings. There are 285
North American bird species in the app now.
It only works for iPhones and iPads with iOS7. You can search the
app store for "Merlin Bird ID". Android coming soon.
I personally can't vouch for the application since I have non-i devices, but it sounds pretty cool and it comes from a reputable source (Cornell)