[CT Birds] A great bird conservation video with Connecticut connections!

andrewgriswold at comcast.net andrewgriswold at comcast.net
Fri Jan 10 16:28:39 EST 2014

I am writing to make people aware of the recent release of an exciting and informative documentary film entitled COUNTING ON BIRDS - the film in part features the same Cuba Bird Survey program  that Connecticut Audubon Society has been a part of for the last ten years. These bird surveys in Cuba are managed by the Caribbean Conservation Trust, which is also based in Connecticut. The film focuses on “citizen science" efforts to document birds in North America, Latin America, and the Caribbean. The documentary was produced by New Hampshire Public Television, which has an excellent reputation for producing nature related programs, many of which focus on bird conservation topics. It premiered at the end of November in the greater Boston area to some very inspiring reviews, and is now being circulated nationally.

The story recalls the history of Christmas Counts, and includes footage from New England, Ecuador, and Cuba. The CCT and Connecticut Audubon Society agenda in Cuba is pretty clearly explained, and there are good and plentiful sights and sounds footage of a bird survey group in action in Cuba in April, 2013. Cuba consumes most of the final 17 minutes of the 56 minute film, so for anyone wanting to view the first few minutes of the program to get the story background and then fast forward to the Cuba segment, you can begin viewing  that segment at about the 40 minute mark.

The link above is a direct connection to the film. If this fails, go to NHPTV.org and scroll left to PROGRAMS and down to Counting on Birds. Let me know if you have any trouble viewing the film.

If you would like to participate in the survey this coming March, give me a call.

Andrew Griswold, Director
Connecticut Audubon Society EcoTravel
PO Box 903
Essex, CT  06426  USA