[CT Birds] Feeder Melee

Jan Hollerbach smilifase at gmail.com
Mon Jan 13 09:46:41 EST 2014

This morning when I came downstairs I saw more birds on my deck than I ever
have before....well, except for Grackle invasions.  There was a flock of at
least 15 American Robins taking turns accessing the heated bird bath for a
drink of water.  In the middle of the ruckus was a Northern Mockingbird.  I
see one in the neighborhood occasionally in the summer but hadn't seen him
in the winter.  Then I had my usual suspects, including the male Downey
Woodpecker that is always hammering away on my Nyjer feeder rather than the
suet.  Usual suspects:

Hairy Woodpecker
Downey Woodpecker
Red-belllied Woodpecker
3 American Goldfinches
2 Tufted Titmice
8 Mourning Doves
5 Juncos
1 White-throated Sparrow
2 Blue Jays
3 House Sparrows

Seeing the AMRO's I had pity and threw out some organic blueberries and
raspberries I had picked up at Whole Foods.  Can't afford to do that too
often, though.

Jan Hollerbach
Fairfield