[CT Birds] Long beach Iceland

Greg Hanisek ghanisek at rep-am.com
Thu Jan 16 16:07:31 EST 2014

I happened to see this gull for the first time a couple days ago, and I'd  have to agree with Julian that I don't see any reason to call it anything but kumlieni, give the variablity of that taxon. As a quick note for the many newer birders and new participants on this list, it's fine to call this an Iceland Gull, Larus glaucoides. Essentially, based on current taxonomy, all Iceland Gulls seen in our area are of the North American subspecies - Larus glaucoides kumleini (aka "Kumlien's" Gull, also an acceptable common name), breeding in eastern Arctic Canada.  The Old World subspecies of Iceland Gull, Larus glaucoides glaucoides, has never been documented in CT and has only rarely been recorded in North America.  It breeds in Greenland and winters in Europe. The NA birds (L. g. kumlieni) show varying amounts of gray in the wingtips (as does the Long Beach bird), while L. g. glaucoides has pure white wing tips.

Greg Hanisek
Waterbury
    _____