[CT Birds] Hamden: Pileated Woodpecker!

Arthur Shippee ashippee at snet.net
Thu Jan 16 23:20:39 EST 2014

Also, from Waite St. Bridge, Hooded & Common Mergansers, 2 Red-tailed Hawks, and a Song Sparrow, plus some others.  (Flo -- SS on RWA land, in case you need FOY.)

First Pileated I've seen here, in 20 years or so of birding.  I've heard there are other Pileated-like holes in the area;  perhaps more regular than we realize?

From Arthur Shippee:
1/16/14 - Hamden, behind 97 North Lake Dr -- Female Pileated Woodpecker

Link to public-view FB photo album below -- I'd appreciate confirmation from non-FB that it works.  Digiscoping:  iPhone mounted to hand-held binos.

Begin forwarded message: