[CT Birds] American crow and Cooper hawk battle - Washingyon, CT

John D Babington davewb07 at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jan 17 10:28:55 EST 2014

Just when I was wondering why I have not seen an accipiter at my bird feeder here in Washington, CT this Winter a small Cooper's hawk made an appearance in the area of the bird feeder this morning. I first noted a small Cooper's hawk on a large oak tree below where the feeder is located. There was already an American crow in this tree. Suddenly another American crow appeared and attacked the hawk. After this set to the Cooper's hawk seemed to be the one attacking the American crow. At one point the hawk landed on a tree nearer the feeder where a gray squirrel was sitting. The squirrel sat with out moving until  the hawk flew off. The hawk chased the crow a few more times before flying out of the area. As expected the smaller birds stayed under cover while the hawk was around. My feeder is in an open area but has an invasive bush near by where the smaller birds retreat to when there is an accipiter hawk is in the area.

David W Babington
Washington, CT