[CT Birds] The History of Iceland Gull vs Glaucous Gull

Steve Mayo and Rebecca Horowitz rsdmayo at sbcglobal.net
Sat Jan 18 21:13:51 EST 2014

Today, I picked up another near-pristine copy of BIRDS OF AMERICA, (editor T.Gilbert Pearson, 1936, first printing 1917).  They still turn up frequently; it set me back 50 cents.  As I leafed through those beautiful Fuertes prints, I noticed that there are images and an entry, for Glaucous Gull but absolutely no reference to Iceland Gull.

I was wondering, what is the history of these two fairly different species?  In CT, for example, Iceland Gulls are much more common than Glaucous Gulls. Why does the early 20th century ornithological community make no reference to Iceland Gull?

Steve Mayo
Bethany