[CT Birds] Large flock of Fish Crows in Stratford

charles barnard jr chbarnjr at gmail.com
Fri Jan 17 12:21:54 EST 2014

 There was a flock of approximately 40 Fish Crows calling as they circled
high over Oronoque Village in northern Stratford just before noon. That is
a fairly large number for this time of the year. A  large number of gulls
were circling with the Fish Crows. My guess is that an eagle probably
spooked all the birds into the air from the nearby Housatonic River. That
happens frequently when an eagle comes into view.

I don't know if the Fish Crows are birds returning early from farther
South, or if scattered birds which have been wintering here have come
together on the Housatonic because they have found a good food supply and
"word got around."
Charlie Barnard Jr