[CT Birds] Aren't we all gull-ible?

kmueller at ntplx.net kmueller at ntplx.net
Fri Jan 17 23:47:04 EST 2014

Thanks Julian, I like being a "non-conformist".....it makes things
more interesting! Its good to see that there is a such interest in a
single Gull, instead of some rare tropical passerine subspecies.

Your observations regarding this Gull as fitting neatly into what
modern field guides define as an Iceland Gull are obviously spot on.
And that alone should close the book.......next Gull please! But I
(and many others) feel that there might be more to this Gull that
warrants a bit more study. I can't speak for others as to their
reasons, but for me since I look at and evaluate birds differently, I
see something in this Gull that makes me feel that this Gull projects
many features and details that go beyond normal evaluation. These
features might possibly be overlooked using normal species
identification guidelines. Because of my style of carving highly
detailed and realistically recreated bird sculptures, I have spent my
entire career defining a bird by the smallest of details. Where many
focus on basic plumage coloration and markings, I look at and study
the feather barbules, rachis design, pterylae, barbule pigmentation,
etc. etc......I just look at birds differently.

For whatever its worth, I am now working on and will be posting a
complete report regarding my thoughts on this Gull on my blog. It will
take some time before I can complete it, since right now I am swamped
and have little time to do everything. This is obvious, since I am
months and months behind on my blog.

In the end, no one will ever know exactly what this Gull is; whether a
classic Kumlien's Gull or a Gull mix. It all comes down to what we
believe it is and what we mane it.

It sure is an interesting Gull though!

Keith Mueller