[CT Birds] Rusty Blackbird Blitz Reminder

James Restivo james.restivo at gmail.com
Thu Jan 23 11:08:52 EST 2014

Hi folks,

We're a little over a month away from the start of the Rusty Blackbird
Blitz! As a reminder, the Blitz period for Connecticut is from mid-March
through the end of April.

Here are some important things to think about in the lead up to the Blitz:

**How do I know if I've seen a Rusty Blackbird?**

In addition to hard-copy field guides, there are several resources online
to help you distinguish Rusties from the more ubiquitous Red-wings and
Grackles. You can familiarize yourself with the look, call, and song of the
Rusty Blackbird with the following links:

http://www.natureinstruct.org/dendroica/

http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Rusty_Blackbird/id<http://www.allaboutbirds.org/>

And of course, the Rusty Blackbird Working Group website:

http://rustyblackbird.org/outreach/migration-blitz/identification-tips/

**How do I report a Rusty Blackbird sighting?**

All of the sightings will be collected through eBird. If you're not
familiar with the eBird data submission process, you can review the
following link:

http://rustyblackbird.org/outreach/migration-blitz/collecting-and-reporting-data/

We've provided a helpful datasheet for you to track your Rusty Blackbird
sightings (or lack thereof), along with some information on habitat usage
and behavior:

http://rustyblackbird.org/wp-content/uploads/Rusty-Blackbird-Blitz-2014-datasheet.pdf

Also, please don't hesitate to reach out to me for any questions on data
entry.

**How do I connect with the group on Facebook??**

I know, this is probably the most important question you have. Here is a
link to the Facebook page so you can stay up-to-date with the latest
information on the Blitz.

https://www.facebook.com/rustyblackbirdspringblitz

There will be additional documents coming out over the next few weeks (e.g.
a detailed identification document, habitat and behavior information, etc).

Thanks for your interest and enthusiasm!

James Restivo
Medford, MA (formerly Mystic, CT)