[CT Birds] Southbury Rough-leg

Jim Pfeifer Jim.Pfeifer at erm.com
Fri Jan 24 18:00:43 EST 2014

Say what?

-----Original Message-----
From: CTBirds [mailto:ctbirds-bounces at lists.ctbirding.org] On Behalf Of Arthur Shippee
Sent: Friday, January 24, 2014 5:12 PM
To: CT Birds List
Subject: Re: [CT Birds] Southbury Rough-leg

Morph as a word.  In the senses we mean, it's really quite recent -- hardly older than me.

1)  Oxford Eng. Dictionary, Supplement (1987), Morph (4):  "variant form of an animal produced by genetic differences or (in later use) one of several forms exhibited by an animal in the course of its life cycle."  The citations there show morph = "variant form" to be a 1955 coining by JS Huxley;  by 1970's, it's used of a stage in the development of, e.g., aphids.

2)  This is from the Greek word, where "morphê" means shape or form as it appears, and this English use is a good one.  (Much better than "phase" which strongly suggests one stage in a life cycle.)

3)  Webster's:  which one?  It's not a copyrighted name, so this could refer to just about anything.  (It's not in the Merriam Webster 2nd, which lacks the word altogether.  Original OED has it only as a short form of morphew, a skin disease.)

4)  "Dimension"?  Does it give an example?  This seems very odd to me, and in fact hard to understand.

For a permanent form of a subset of a species, "morph" seems to me linguistically the better coinage than "phase."