[CT Birds] an unusual observation!

Carrier Graphics carriergraphics at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jan 23 21:30:56 EST 2014

I just have to tell this observation because it is so unusual. I have for years had a pair of Red-shouldered Hawks living in my neighborhood and feeding from my compost pile regularly. Well the female has stayed the winter here, and I will feed her dead road kill at the compost pile when i find it. Today however as i do daily,I deposited the left over household compost containing a chicken soup carcase and other stuff. Well while looking out the window an hr later, I notice the Red shoulder up in the oak tree being harassed by the also hungry pair of Crows. Shortly the Hawk is the first to descend down to the compost pile, and I notice she lands on a large Grapefruit half ! I believe she saw this above from the tree and thought it was meat from its pink inner remains! Well with her eyes glued on the pesky Crows, She takes off into the woods with this big Grapefruit half hanging from her talons! What an unusual sight this was! I would love to have seen
 her reaction when she notices it to be not meat, but fruit!

at feeder today had a visit by a lone Siskin in with 8 Golds.

Paul Carrier - Harwinton