[CT Birds] Mew Gull = Common gull yes

Comins, Patrick PCOMINS at audubon.org
Fri Jan 31 16:57:21 EST 2014

Sorry for the earlier post where I called it Common Gull, prematurely splitting it before the AOU does.  I meant the same gull as yesterday, the Mew Gull, which is of the same subspecies that they call Common Gull in UK, with the West Coast North American birds being Mew Gull (or do they call them Short-billed Gull?)  In any case AOU calls them all Mew Gulls and it was there on the river at lunchtime today, same place as yesterday, seen by lots and photographed by some of us.   Apparently Frank Mantlik got  a flight shot, which I'm looking forward to seeing.    Mid-day seems to be the magic hour, at least in the last two days.  Both day's appearances were between noon and 2 PM or so.

There were at least 3 Iceland Gulls present, including a 2nd cycle that Keith Mueller saw while we are all fixated on the rare one.   Also the Rough-legged Hawk at Cassidy Road in Southbury today.

Patrick

Patrick M. Comins
Director of Bird Conservation

Audubon Connecticut