[CT Birds] MEW/COMMON GULL Photos 1/31

Frank Mantlik mantlik at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jan 31 21:08:26 EST 2014

Hi all,
I just posted a selection of photos of the adult MEW / COMMON GULL seen today (1/31/2014) on the Housatonic River, from River Road, Southbury.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/avocetfm/

 The pix illustrate the tad darker mantle with more contrasting white tertial crescent, the finely spotted head, the smaller (than Ring-billed) bill which is greenish with a yellowish tip and a faint dusky semblance of a ring, and dark eyes. I was lucky to obtain some open wing shots, after the bird bathed, showing the black and white pattern of the primary feathers.
I think many of these features point to Common Gull (Larus canus canus), the European subspecies of "Mew" Gull, as opposed to the Mew Gull (Larus canus brachyrhynchus) of the west coast of North America.  But I will let the gull experts out there determine that. Comments welcomed.

Thanks again to Patrick Comins for discovering this CT rarity yesterday, and getting word and photos out quickly.

If you plan to go, a spotting scope is strongly advised. And be prepared to look through 1000+ Ring-billed Gulls. Please respect private property, especially Mitchell Farm, and be careful of auto traffic.

Frank Mantlik
Stratford