[CT Birds] Long Wharf; Monday morning - 10:30

Robert Hutton rvhuk at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 27 12:36:25 EST 2014

Please forgive me for never mentioning the tagged Ring Billed Gull. There have been two over the past few months but in the past few days just one has been on show.

The Snowy Owl was not present this morning, I walked as far as the Sound School at West Haven.|Hundreds of Canada Geese are present all over the shore between Lenny and Joe's Fish Tale and the Sound School. A couple of pairs of Red Breasted Mergansers lay between the pier and the restaurant along with several Hooded Merganser pairs and a Female Bufflehead. Song Sparrows flit around the start of the pier and also there are over a dozen on the bank of the stream flowing into the Sound between Long Wharf and The Nature Preserve. There is a Red Shouldered Hawk roosting on the path through the Nature Preserve and four or five Mourning Doves and two dozen Starlings. There is a Black Backed Gull among the Ring Bills at the mid wharf car park.

I had to return to take my wife to work but some of the other Ducks are sheltered between Lenny and Joe's Fish Tale and the Diner in the next building. Sadly I did not have time to check out what the group consisted of.