[CT Birds] New Haven Bird Club Activities in February

Larry Bausher LPBausher at comcast.net
Mon Jan 27 16:44:20 EST 2014

Here is the New Haven Bird Club’s schedule of activities during

Indoor Meeting:

February 13, 7:00 pm.  Theresa Feo —“Feather Development and
Differentiation”.  Whitney Center Cultural Arts Center, 200 Leeder
Hill Drive, Hamden.  Free and open to the public.  Clothes may make
the man, but feathers make the bird. Birds sport thousands of
feathers that come in myriad shapes and sizes for various uses
including flying, attracting a mate, and even carrying water. The
diversity of feathers is stunning but it is not always clear how the
different feather shapes are produced. Yale PhD candidate Teresa Feo
will present her ongoing research to uncover  how  feathers  grow
into  different  shapes."  She is a 4th year PhD candidate in Richard
Prum’s Department of Ecology & Evolutionary Biology at Yale. Her
focus is feather development and she has worked extensively with
Chris Clark (a previous speaker for the NHBC) on a project to
document hummingbird courtship displays and feather sounds.   Social
half-hour at 7:00, program begins at 7:30.  For more information:
www.newhavenbirdclub.org or call 203-230-1697.

Field Trips:

Hammonasset State Park, Madison.   Saturday, February 1, 8:00 am.
Free and open to the public.  Join us as we visit this premier CT
birding location for a mid-winter excursion.  We will be looking for
sea ducks, shorebirds, grassland species, and winter finches.
Notable sightings from last year’s trip included: Surf Scoter,
Sanderling, Dunlin, Black-bellied Plover, Horned Lark, and White-
winged Crossbill. Meet at the Nature Center parking lot.  We will
check several areas in the park, including the campgrounds area.
Leaders: Chris Loscalzo and Paul Wolter.  Contact person: Chris
Loscalzo: 203-389-6508 or closcalz at optonline.net.

First Wednesday Walk: Hammonasset State Park, Madison.  Wednesday,
February 5, 8:00 am.  Free and open to the public. Join us on this
mid-week field trip to one of the area’s best birding locations. We
will look for sea ducks, grassland species, and rarities. We should
see loons, grebes, scoters, and, perhaps, eiders. Horned Larks and
Snow Buntings may be on the grassy lots if they are not covered with
snow.  Meet at the park entrance at 8:00 am (I-95, Exit 62).
Leader:  Greg Hanisek.  Contact -Tina Green: 203.247.2660,
tina at renaissancestudios.com.

Sachuest Point National Wildlife Refuge and Rhode Island Coast.
Saturday, February 22, 7:00 am.  Free and open to the public.  This
all-day trip includes stops at Sachuest Point, Beavertail State Park,
Moonstone Beach and Trustum Pond, all outstanding Rhode Island
birding locations.  We should see grebes, loons, scoters, scaup,
Purple Sandpipers, and Harlequin Ducks. Dress warmly—it’s cold and
windy on the coast. The hiking is a bit strenuous in places. Bring
lunch and a spotting scope if you have one. Meet at the Branford
commuter lot at Exit 55, I-95. We carpool from there.  Leader: Chris
Loscalzo: 203 389-6508 or closcalz at optonline.

Larry Bausher, West Haven
NHBC Publicity Director