[CT Birds] Mew Gull and highlights

kmueller at ntplx.net kmueller at ntplx.net
Fri Jan 31 17:46:03 EST 2014

Southbury, just south of the Shepaug Dam. 12:30 pm to 1:30 pm MEW GULL
continues seen by many. Seen in the fields in the morning and then in
the river shortly after. Distant views, scope is necessary searching
through 1,000 Gulls mostly Ring-billed. Also 3 ICELAND GULLS (2- 1st
cycle) one very pale bird with pure white primaries, one darker, and a
2nd cycle flying up the river that never landed with the Gull flock. 6
Bald Eagles (4 adults 2 juvenile) with one juvenile flying up River
Road and landing in a tree near the edge of the road....great photo
opportunity! Plus never ending Common Mergansers flying up and down
the river. Also light morph ROUGH-LEGGED HAWK at Cassidy Road (over
the hill from the river), also a quick look at the very pale Redtail
Hawk that Patrick found the other day.

I again want to Thank Patrick Comins for finding this Gull yesterday
and re-locating it again today...it was one of my wish-list Gulls, and
also for the R-L Hawk....Thanks Patrick!!

Keith Mueller