[CT Birds] Mew Gull continues- 11am

mresch8702 at aol.com mresch8702 at aol.com
Sat Feb 1 10:59:39 EST 2014

Seen in field along River Rd.

Mike Resch

Sent from AOL Mobile Mail

-----Original Message-----
From: Frank Mantlik <mantlik at sbcglobal.net>
To: Birds CT <ctbirds at lists.ctbirding.org>
Sent: Fri, Jan 31, 2014 09:09 PM
Subject: [CT Birds] MEW/COMMON GULL Photos 1/31

<pre style="font-size: 9pt;"><tt>Hi all,
I just posted a selection of photos of the adult MEW / COMMON GULL seen today
(1/31/2014) on the Housatonic River, from River Road, Southbury.

 The pix illustrate the tad darker mantle with more contrasting white tertial
crescent, the finely spotted head, the smaller (than Ring-billed) bill which is
greenish with a yellowish tip and a faint dusky semblance of a ring, and dark
eyes. I was lucky to obtain some open wing shots, after the bird bathed, showing
the black and white pattern of the primary feathers.
I think many of these features point to Common Gull (Larus canus canus), the
European subspecies of "Mew" Gull, as opposed to the Mew Gull (Larus canus
brachyrhynchus) of the west coast of North America.  But I will let the gull
experts out there determine that. Comments welcomed.

Thanks again to Patrick Comins for discovering this CT rarity yesterday, and
getting word and photos out quickly.

If you plan to go, a spotting scope is strongly advised. And be prepared to look
through 1000+ Ring-billed Gulls. Please respect private property, especially
Mitchell Farm, and be careful of auto traffic.

Frank Mantlik