[CT Birds] Bald Eagles, etc. CT River.

Boletebill boletebill at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 8 18:29:47 EST 2014

Essex CT River:
17 sub-adult Bald Eagles
5 Adult Bald Eagles
3 Northern Harrier
2 Red-tailed Hawks
Rough-legged Hawk.
2 Ring-necked Ducks
100++ Common Merganser
3 Harbor Seals.
All these were seen on CT River Museum's Eagle Watch boat tour today with Project Oceanlology between Joshua's Rock, Lyme and Ayer's Point, Old Saybrook. Most CT birders know the lower river population of BE's varies quite a bit from year to year. The whys and wherefores of this are a subject of much discussion but there's little doubt that THIS year there are a lot of sub-adult eagles around. Counting moving eagles on a moving boat is not exactly a science so it's best to be conservative in your count. After seeing so many eagles today on this short stretch of river I became curious about whether many of these eagles might be the same eagles holding at the mouth of the river in the Griswold Point-Blackhall River fish kill site. So I rushed down there to see and my impression is that the group of 15 or so sub-adults there are NOT the same birds as are in the Joshua Rock/Essex/Ayer's Point area (which is between 5 and 8 miles from the river mouth.) If
 that's even roughly accurate that means the lower 8 miles of river is holding at least 30 sub-adult and probably 10 adult Bald Eagles now. I'd be interested to hear what others think of this observation.

Bill Yule
Essex

Some thoughts about this year's winter population of Bald Eagles on the CT River.