[CT Birds] Sparrows in Somers

Jim Pfeifer Jim.Pfeifer at erm.com
Fri Feb 7 11:42:00 EST 2014

February 7, 2014, 8:00-8:45 - Northern CT Land Trust property on Durkee Road in Somers (Scantic River).  Beavers have really transformed this area over the past 2 years (looks like a war zone).  While I like the fact that they are creating very nice wetland and successional habitat, they are also destroying some very nice large White and Red/Pin Oaks, a few of which are 3+ feet in diameter.  I'd protect some of the mature trees if I was managing this land.  Sparrows were all over the shrubs and winter grasses, including:

10 Song Sparrow
7 American Tree
6 WT Sparrow
3 Swamp Sparrow
1 Field Sparrow
12 -14 Juncos
1 Pileated WP
2 northern Flickers
1 belted Kingfisher (M)
3 downy WP
4-5 titmice
2 Chickadee
2 goldfinch
1 RT hawk
1 immature accipiter? - perched 1/4 mile to north along edge of utility easement.