[CT Birds] Photos from the landfill today

Comins, Patrick PCOMINS at audubon.org
Fri Feb 7 20:21:15 EST 2014

It was a great day at the landfill with Keith Mueller, even though I didn't get a single Iceland, Glaucous, or lesser.  Lots of interesting variation and some strange looking birds.  I have posted some photos on Facebook, which anyone should be able to view.

Included is the presumed hybrid Herring X Lesser Black-backed Gull (advanced 3rd winter?), a really barred first cycle Herring Gull with a unusually barred tail for a smithsonianus, another really barred first cycle Herring Gull, and an adult Herring Gull with a huge terminal mirror on P10 and a large sub-terminal mirror on P9 and reduced black in the primaries, (Newfoundland bird?).  It looked like a white-winged gull when going over.

You may ask "why is that a presumed hybrid and not a pure Lesser?"  Perhaps it is, but in the field and in many of the photos, the mantle color is barely darker than the Herring Gulls.   In the field it appeared to be about halfway between Herring and Lesser in mantle color.  The light was tough for photography with the fresh white snow and full sun.  You can see how much the shades of gray change with angle of view.

Patrick M. Comins
Director of Bird Conservation

Audubon Connecticut
185 East Flat Hill Road