[CT Birds] White winged ravens in New Fairfield

elphick at sbcglobal.net elphick at sbcglobal.net
Sun Feb 9 13:09:31 EST 2014

White wing stripes are not too unusual in crows. Common enough to be illustrated in the Sibley Guide. I've seen them in clusters a couple times (including on the UConn campus) - and have also seen this with similar pigment abnormalities in a couple of other species - making me suspect that it is a genetic thing (though this is complete speculation on my part). Given this frequency in crows it doesn't surprise me that other corvids would show the same.

Chris Elphick
Storrs, CT