[CT Birds] OT - Deer Ticks

Mike Warner mjwarner at optonline.net
Mon Feb 10 15:44:17 EST 2014

Roy,

     Thank you for sending the article to the list, I hope everybody reads
it.  I have been reading about Powassan and other tick borne diseases since
September and would like to add a few things.  Ticks become active at
temperatures above 35 F.  In a very carefully controlled laboratory
experiment, Powassan disease was transmitted from an infected tick to a
mouse after attachment for 15 minutes.  Most victims report not being aware
they had been bitten.  There is a delay in seeking medical attention because
initial symptoms mimic the flu.  A tick can carry more than one illness.  It
is imperative to identify the illness and treat the patient for any and all
diseases or viruses.
The real problem, as the article mentioned, is correctly identifying the
disease or virus affecting the patient.  The time it takes a clinical
laboratory to reach a conclusion is time depriving a patient a recovery.
     A virus isolate test, is one where a piece of corduroy, one meter
square, is dragged across the ground and then inspected for ticks.  These
ticks are then analyzed for viruses etc.  Using this method, Powassan virus
has been discovered in Connecticut, particularly in northern New Haven,
Branford, Lyme and an undisclosed site in NW Connecitcut.  To date, there
have been no confirmed human cases of Powassan in Connecticut.  Nationally,
the total of confimed cases since 1958 are low.  That's a good thing.  With
a 10 -15% death rate and lingering neurological damage for those who
survive, that's a bad thing.
     It is time to practice active prevention LIKE NEVER BEFORE.  Checking
yourself after a hike isn't good enough anymore.  A fifteen minute
transmission time says you should check yourself during a hike every fifteen
minutes, and once more after the hike.  Starting this year I will wear long
pants tucked into boots and use abundant amounts of product containing Deet.

Search these cues -
 -cdc dot org/powassan   and  cdc dot org/ DTV

-"Powassan in Connecticut",

- Ebel + Kramer  "Short Report: Duration of Tick Attachment Required  For
Transmission Of Powassan Virus By Deer Ticks".

-parasites and vectors dot com  -  "Isolation of deer tick virus (Powasssan
virus Lineage II) from Ixodes Scapularis and detection of antibody in
vertebrate hosts in the Hudson Valley, New York State".  (Kramer, et. al.)

-"Prevention of Tick Borne Disease"

     This is the rough outline of information I have found.  By writing
this, I am not attempting to stop all birding in Connecticut but to prolong
it, providing preventative measures are followed.  Please be careful
outdoors and especially birding in 2014.

Mike Warner
Wilton, Ct.