[CT Birds] Putnam Horned Grebe odd location

Jamie Meyers ctredbird2 at comcast.net
Mon Feb 10 16:48:03 EST 2014

That is an oddity, but not unprecedented. I believe this same location hosted a Red-throated Loon for at least a couple of days during the very cold winter we had a couple of years ago. As many of us know, adverse weather conditions can pretty much bite for the birds but can produce some interesting sightings for birders. I can't remember what year but it was around 10 years or so ago where there was a flash freeze to our west in March and the CT River was suddenly loaded with Red-necked Grebes. The birds were basically just looking for open water, which is likely what the grebe in Putnam is doing.

Extralimitally, I was reading that most of the Great Lakes are currently frozen, which has caused a push of duck species that ordinarily winter there to move south. The mid-Atlantic and southern states are seeing a rash of diving ducks such as White-winged Scoters and Common Goldeneyes that haven't been seen in a generation. This kind of thing is endlessly fascinating to me.

Jamie Meyers
Canton, CT