[CT Birds] Florida Trip Report and Pictures

Joseph Cala Joejr14 at aol.com
Mon Feb 10 21:50:39 EST 2014

Hey all.

I just got back from a week of birding and photography in central
Florida and figured many of you would enjoy a trip report (with some
photographs, of course).

I accumulated just north of 120 species in 5 days of birding, the best
being the following:  Tropical Kingbird, Fulvous-whistling Duck, Purple
Swamphen, Snail Kite, Long-billed Curlew, Western Tanager and
Scissor-tailed Flycatcher.  While birding Ft. De Soto Park I also picked
up an adult male Blue Grosbeak--only the 3rd winter record for Pinellas
County dating back to 1880--thought that was pretty neat.

Here's some links to the better shots from the week, but I've uploaded
about 75 shots from the trip so far and counting.  Feel free to look
around--especially at the shorebird pictures.  While at Ft. De Soto I
had Marbled Godwit, Dunlin, Black Skimmer, Royal Tern, Forster's Tern,
Willet, and Short-billed Dowitcher all within 20 feet of me--and
numerous times had the shorebirds walk so close to me I had to put the
camera down because they were too close to focus.

Here's just a snipet of the 'flock' of birds that was at the lagoon at
Ft. De Soto:
http://josephcala.zenfolio.com/img/s5/v131/p743921808-4.jpg

Godwits:
http://josephcala.zenfolio.com/img/s5/v131/p303443337-4.jpg