[CT Birds] Most likely Southbury Mew Gull

kmueller at ntplx.net kmueller at ntplx.net
Tue Feb 11 09:06:08 EST 2014

Yesterday- (Monday, Feb. 11, 2014)- I am very confident that the Mew
Gull is still in the same location on the Housatonic River ice near
the Farm on River St. I arrived yesterday at 10:30 am at the Farm
where the we saw the Gull nearly two weeks ago just as the farmer was
dumping the old vegetable feed near the main barn and the feeding gull
frenzy started. The Gulls fed for half an hour and then settled on the
ice near the road to roost. I scoped the 750 Gulls for an hour and
finally found what I believed to be the Mew Gull sleeping in the
middle of the flock. Unfortunately the Gull was sleeping with its head
tucked back and in, and I never saw the Gull wake up to see the bill
and dark eyes. I kept watching for 15 minutes until an Eagle flew over
and shuffled the flock. I was never able to re-locate the Gull again!

Based on my field observations and what identified this Gull to me as
being the very probable Mew Gull was: it was smaller than the
surrounding Ring-billed Gulls. Its mantle shade was similar to the
Ring-billed Gulls often appearing slightly lighter or one shade darker
that the Ring-billed Gulls (bright sun and clouds issues). Its legs
were much smaller and narrower with smaller tibiotarsal joints than
the Ring-billed Gulls and also were gray with a pale yellow/green wash
to them.

I didn't report it yesterday because I wanted to evaluate the known
images from Mike Resch and Patrick Comins and my distant shots from
Feb. 1 to the shots I took yesterday. This Gull has very unique
spotting patterns in its small feathers in the upper chest and back of
its head, and the legs were also very unique. Last night I compared
all the images from the known identifiable shots and my sleeping Gull
shots from yesterday and the feather markings and legs match. I
concluded with much confidence that this is the Mew Gull that Patrick
found. You can see these images here on my FB album page:

https://www.facebook.com/keith.mueller.733/media_set?set=a.238207663033073.1073741831.100005315221025&type=1

As I mentioned there is a good concentration of Gulls here including
at least 2 Iceland , 1 Glaucous and other unique looking Herring Gulls
including a likely Nelson's Gull. I did see 1 Iceland Gull yesterday
(the nearly all white 1st cycle), 1 banded Ring-billed Gull with a
blue leg maker band #AC6 from the former Montreal Gull Study Program
and possibly the Nelson's Gull (or similar plumaged HERG) that Patrick
photographed last week. Also has several Eagles on the river and a
immature Cooper's Hawk chase a ball of Starlings over the field
isolating one and chased by the Coops that flew about 5 feet over my
head!

Keith Mueller