[CT Birds] GBBC update Sunday

Comins, Patrick PCOMINS at audubon.org
Sun Feb 16 09:24:34 EST 2014

We currently stand at 126 species, down quite a bit from 2012's total of 151 species (I can't seem to get 2013's total).   Here are some of the highlights so far (note, I'm having a bit of a hard time with the new system, so there may be additional reports of the below species that I can't see through the output tools):

Eurasian Wigeon from Branford.

Northern Shoveler from the Quinebog Fish Hatchery

Northern Pintail, a few reports

Canvasback on South Cove

Redheads from West Haven and Greenwich.

9 Common Eiders at Harkness

15 Black Scoters at Harkness

Ring-necked Pheasant from Willow Brook, Hartford County

Pied-billed Grebe, scattered reports

Great Cormorant, scattered reports

15 Black Vultures in Manchester

Rough-legged Hawks, Southbury and Wallingford

Black-bellied Plovers, Hammo

15 Purple Sandpipers, Harkness

Iceland Gulls, Silver Sands and Manchester

Lesser Black-backed Gull, Westport, Greenwich

Glaucous Gulls, Manchester and Windsor

Snowy Owl, Silver Sands

Red-headed Woodpecker, New Haven

American Kestrel, Wallingford

Merlin, scattered reports

Brown Thrasher, Bridgeport

American Pipits, Harkness

House Wren, Fairfield County yard.

Lapland Longspurs, scattered reports

Common Yellowthroat, Deep river

Chipping Sparrows, scattered reports

Fox Sparrow, scattered reports

Rusty Blackbird, scattered reports

Baltimore Oriole, New Haven County

There are also some reports of Pine Siskin and Common Redpoll that we have to track down and get details for, as neither species is in abundance this year.

Some species that are missing:

Greater White-fronted Goose,? Snow Goose,  Barnacle Goose, Cackling Goose, Tundra Swan, Blue-winged Teal, Tufted Duck (one can hope), King Eider, Harlequin Duck, Barrow's Goldeneye, Ruffed Grouse, Red-necked Grebe, Eared Grebe, Northern Gannet, D-c Cormorant, Black-crowned Night-Heron, Osprey, Northern Goshawk, Golden Eagle, Gyrfalcon (again one can hope), Clapper Rail, Killdeer, Bonaparte's Gull, Black-headed Gull, Ross' Gull, Mew Gull, Slaty-backed Gull, Thayer's Gull, Any alcids, Barn Owl, Short-eared Owl, Northern Saw-whet Owl, Long-eared Owl, Eastern Phoebe, Northern Shrike, Marsh Wren, Gray Catbird, Orange-crowned Warbler, Pine Warbler, rare sparrows, Eastern Meadowlark, and Evening Grosbeak.

Still some birds to find!

Patrick

Patrick M. Comins
Director of Bird Conservation