[CT Birds] East of the river larks and buntings

Jamie Meyers ctredbird2 at comcast.net
Sun Feb 16 12:23:37 EST 2014

There have recently been a lot of reports of Horned Larks and Snow Buntings from north of us, in places where there are more open fields and farms than we have. With all of the snow cover, I figured now might be a good time to canvass somewhat local farms and other open spots for these birds. Yesterday I did a quick swing in the northwest corner without much luck, but did way better today.

Started in East Hartford, chasing an eBird report of larks from an industrial area. None there but I found several on the back side of Rentschler Field on the Pratt and Whitney side. Then up to Ellington, where there was a small flock in a plowed road next to a cattle barn that included about a dozen larks, a Snow Bunting and, somewhat surprisingly, several American Pipits. A Red-tail was actively trying to catch starlings. Finally I went to Somers, especially for Snow Buntings that had been reported in eBird from Hurlburt Road. There were numerous larks off Ninth District Road and a harrier. The fields off Hurlburt Road were barren but nearby there were 6 more larks. I spotted flock distantly off Durfee Road that was likely mostly buntings, but could only positively ID one with some larks.

Lots of waterfowl in the river at the Barnes Boat Launch. Best in show were Common Goldeneyes and Greater Scaup.

Jamie Meyers
Canton, CT