[CT Birds] rare bird?

Leslie DeLong lesliedelong at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 12 09:55:43 EST 2014

I am a long time, relatively novice bird watcher.  I have twice now briefly seen a confusing bird at the feeder.  We have a number of white throated sparrows, and it resembled one (head stripes, light throat) but with a big spot in the middle of the breast.  It also has what I call black "wiskers" coming down from the bill.

The breast spot doesn't look like the type of spot I have seen on song sparrows - there is no streaking near it.
Any better suggestions for possible identification and field marks I should look for next time it shows up?