[CT Birds] 2/20/2014 -- Hammonasset -- Lapland Longspur, Snowy Owls, Snow Buntings & Killdeer

Gina Nichol sunrisebirding at aol.com
Thu Feb 20 20:07:44 EST 2014

 It was a steller morning at Hammonasset this morning with no wind and beautiful sunshine!  I thought the Killdeer was a little early but it looks like there are a few reports on eBird.  The Longspurs and Snow Buntings were great right near the nature center parking lot.  And, of course, I got my first Snowy Owl of the season. EBird list below.  I went back this afternoon hoping to see a Short-eared Owl.  No Short-eared but a second Snowy Owl near the Osprey platform in the marsh at Meigs Point.

For Roy:

>From Gina Nichol:
2/20/14 -- Madison, Hammonasset Beach State Park -- LAPLAND LONGSPUR, SNOWY OWL, SNOW BUNTINGS, Killdeer.  Ebird list below.

Hammonasset--Meig's Point, New Haven, US-CT
Feb 20, 2014 8:45 AM - 10:30 AM
Protocol: Traveling
1.0 mile(s)
24 species

Canada Goose  12
Mute Swan  1
American Black Duck  5
Greater Scaup  3
Surf Scoter  1
Bufflehead  4
Common Goldeneye  2
Red-breasted Merganser  4
Red-throated Loon  3
Common Loon  1
Killdeer  1
Sanderling  8
Dunlin  15
Ring-billed Gull  6
Herring Gull  9
Mourning Dove  5
Snowy Owl  1
Downy Woodpecker  1
Horned Lark  16
Carolina Wren  1
American Robin  1
Lapland Longspur  1
Snow Bunting  9
House Finch  3

View this checklist online at http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S17120512

Gina Nichol
Branford, CT
It's a beautiful day. Don't let it get away.