[CT Birds] Wildlife

Stephen Broker ls.broker at cox.net
Mon Feb 24 21:20:07 EST 2014

Nick,

Steve Mayo once again beat me to the punch with his recommendations of two invaluable resources on wildlife in Connecticut.  The best book by far is Geoff Hammerson's Connecticut Wildlife (University Press of New England).  Geoff is a genius both in classroom and field, not an easy combination for most naturalists.  His book is readily available, and it covers a broad range of topics in ecology, biological diversity, and life history strategies.  Geoff's long list of courses taught at Wesleyan University over some 30 years includes natural history by the seasons, also reflected in Connecticut Wildlife.

The DEEP publication, also called Connecticut Wildlife, comes out 6 times a year at a very modest subscription rate.  You should sign up for a three year subscription.  I've been reviewing the past 15 years of this publication in preparation for an upcoming talk, and I'm again reminded of its great value for learning about wildlife and conservation issues.  The photography by Paul Fusco is superior, as well.  If you want to learn about the Year of the Snake, the Year of the Turtle, state fishes and mammals, and many groups of bird species, this is a great resource.

I and others can suggest some additional books and publications, but start with these.

Steve Broker
Cheshire