[CT Birds] Revised Gull report today

kmueller at ntplx.net kmueller at ntplx.net
Thu Feb 27 22:56:15 EST 2014

After reviewing all my images from today, I am revising my earlier two
reports.

Southbury, Housatonic River below Shepaug Dam: 3- 1st cycle Glaucous Gulls,
4- 1st cycle Iceland Gulls plus an additional white-winged Gull
(Iceland-type) species identification pending review by others, 3
banded Ring-billed Gulls (blue leg markers with white lettering). Over
1500 Gulls here today mostly Ring-billed with 50+ Herring Gulls.
Note-number of Gulls and Herring Gulls are increasing. Mew Gull not
found, but still may be present. Also many Common Mergansers, a small
group Ring-necked Ducks, Peregrine Falcon stooped the Gulls but
missed, several Eagles, 3 Raven and 1 Coot

South Meriden, Hanover Pond at Habershon Field: 350 Ring-billed Gulls
with 11 banded! This is the most banded Gulls I have ever recorded in
one location with a small overall number of Gulls present. Bands are
from Universuty of Quebec, Montreal, Mass. DEM, and two Gulls had a
single Fed. leg band only. One Gull had a ametal leg band and a bare
metal large riveted band with no color or number...probably an old
band which lost its color and number. Also 1 Coot.

Keith Mueller