[CT Birds] RS returning

Mntncougar at aol.com Mntncougar at aol.com
Mon Feb 24 11:38:03 EST 2014

My pair of Red-shouldered Hawks has returned! For years they  have nested
in the woodlot across the street from my home, and generally have  ruled the
air in the neighborhood. They patrol a wide area and chase anything  that
could be perceived as a threat. The neighborhood crows may challenge them  for
a while, but eventually they will reach a truce for the summer.
Last year, one returned at least 2 weeks before another  appeared, so I
wondered then if 1 was a new bird. But I saw them for the first  time today,
wheeling and circling almost over my house and screaming excitedly  back and
forth, so I have no doubt these are the birds from last year. Best sign  yet
that spring is coming!

Don  Morgan