[CT Birds] bird tool use

James Dugan jim at duganworks.com
Mon Mar 3 18:31:11 EST 2014

Back in the mid 80's while at Corkscrew Swamp Sanctuary in Florida I watched a Green(-backed) Heron dabble a twig in its bill onto the water surface to mimic, I presume, a stranded flying insect. When a fish approached the disturbance the heron dropped the stick and grabbed the fish. It worked for the bird the one and only time I observed the behavior. The stick was about 4 inches long and the bird fished with no more than 3 inches of it, vigorously moving it back and forth in a tight pattern with the very tip of the stick barely touching the water.

Jim Dugan
New Milford