[CT Birds] Fw: Food to mix in for robins:

wingsct at juno.com wingsct at juno.com
Tue Mar 4 16:31:54 EST 2014

Great suggestion!In addition, I recommend using high protein, low or no carbohydrate dry cat food - kitten food would be better as it's higher in protein,which most birds need.Best to use high quality brands usually found at Petsmart or Petco e.g.  Blue Buffalo, Wilderness, Wellness.  Avoid brands sold insupermarkets as they are often loaded with soy (usually GMO), food dyes and other questionable ingredients.Birds lack the ability to process and assimilate carbohydrates especially those from grains which are often used as cheap fillersin lesser quality pet foods.Soak the food in hot water to soften, then serve.  Soaking raisins helps to soften them, making them easier to eat and providingsome much needed water.Be sure what you put out for the birds is gone by day's end to avoid attracting unwanted dinner guests like:  cats, raccoons, etc.Happy feeding! Meredith SampsonOld Greenwich